Se emne

Hvem er her? 1 gæst(er)
 Udskriv emne
Por Tor (Hungry Ghost) Festival in Phuket Town is on the 12-13 August.
per1234
#1 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 08-08-2014 06:56
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 883

www.thai-dk.dk/uploads/000i000nhgfredvnm,.jpg

The Por Tor festival (also called the Hungry Ghost festival) was something that I'd not even heard of until a few years ago, and last year was the first time I went to see what it was about . Phuket has a mixed population of Buddhists, Muslims and people who lean towards old Chinese beliefs die to their ancestry - about 30% of the Phuket population is Thai-Chinese, due to large scale immigration mostly in the 19th century. Many mainland Chinese headed to this part of the world - some ended up in Phuket, some in Bangkok, some in Penang or Singapore. Phuket celebrates a number of festivals based on Chinese beliefs such as the Phuket vegetarian Festival (which starts October 14th). The Por Tor festival is based on the belief that the spirits of ancestors are released from the spirit world during the 7th lunar month. And they are hungry!

Offerings are made for the spirits, with the most common offering being a red turtle cake called an Ang Ku. These come in all sizes - more about them later. On the weekend of September 2nd the festival was based around the main market in Phuket Town. I had meant to get to this event last year, but seems the Por Tor festival is so local that even some locals don't know the details and we went on the wrong day! This time, I was at the market on the right evening and it was busy! Tables full of food, drinks, whole roast pigs, huge turtle cakes and people

read more here: http://jamie-monk...huket.html
Til forsiden  Til toppen  Til bunden
Gå til debat:

Lignende tråde

Emne Forum Svar Nyeste indlæg
Pattaya’s Holi Festival 2024 a Major Success Nyheder fra Pattaya 2 28-03-2024 17:06
PHUKET XTRA / The Thaiger Nyheder fra Phuket 2177 28-03-2024 16:41
Happy Holi Festival of Colours 2024 Returns on March 23rd to Pattaya Nyheder fra Pattaya 1 10-03-2024 05:33
A mass boxing dance ritual takes place during the 'MuayThai Soft Power Thailand' festival Billeder/Videoer fra livet i Thailand 1 07-02-2024 12:52
Siamese Stone Unveils Exclusive "Island Collection" in Phuket Fri debat: Pattaya 1 24-01-2024 12:35

Alt indhold på denne side er Copyright @ copy 2009 Thai DK Debat Forum Alle rettigheder forbeholdes Siden er optimeret til 1024 * 768